Season 1, Episode 2: October 11, 2020
We take you on a virtual vacation around this wonderful country of ours, featuring songs and delicious popular foods from each locale.
THIS WEEK'S RECIPE
A breakfast dish consisting of eggs served in the style of the traditional large mid-morning fare on rural Mexican farms.
Servings: 4 servings
- large bowl, medium skillet, grater
- 2 tomatoes small
- 1 onion small
- 1 jalapeno pepper medium, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic 1 chopped, 1 smashed
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp cumin ground
- kosher salt
- black pepper freshly ground
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil plus 2 tsp separated
- 15.5 oz can black beans drained, rinsed
- 4 eggs large
- 4 6-inch corn tortillas warmed
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup cilantro fresh, chopped
- Set grater in a large bowl and grate the tomatoes and onions.
- Add the jalapenos, chopped garlic, hot sauce, cumin and sale and pepper to taste.
- Heat a skillet over low heat and add the 2 teaspoons olive oil.
- Fry the salsa in the oil until it thickens.
- Remove and set aside.
- Add beans to pan with smashed garlic with 1/2 cup warm water and a pinch of salt.
- Cook beans on low heat until warmed through.
- Mash beans slightly with a fork.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a separate skillet.
- Fry eggs until sunny-side up.
- Season eggs with pepper.
- Plate each warm tortilla.
- Divide beans across tortillas.
- Place one egg on each.
- Add salsa and cheese.
- Sprinkle with cilantro (optional) and serve.