Season 1, Episode 3: October 18, 2020
We celebrate the thrills and chills of Broadway musicals perfect for the Halloween season, and we'll serve up some delicious, spooky treats.
THIS WEEK'S RECIPE
Jack o Lantern Fruit Cups
Servings: 3 cups
- 3 navel oranges medium
- 1 cup fresh fruit mixed
- Slice the tops of the oranges off.
- Scoop out the the orange pulp.
- Cut out faces in oranges.
- Fill oranges with fresh fruit.
- Serve and enjoy!
Bangers and Sweet Potato Mash Hand Pies
Servings: 9 pies
- Baking Sheet, Oven, Cast Iron Skillet, Medium Saucepan, Handheld Mixer
- 2 pork sausages mild or spicy (5-6 oz. each)
- 3 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tbsp milk divided
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 medium orange juiced
- 1/3 cup green onion thinly sliced
- 2 tsp thyme leaves fresh
- kosher salt and pepper
- chopped vegetables
- 1 box frozen puff pastry thawed
- flour for rolling dough
- 1 1/2 cups Irish cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon milk for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line an extra-large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the sausages and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes total until cooked through. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate. When cool enough to handle, cut sausages into 1/4-inch slices. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, place sweet potato chunks into a medium saucepan. Cover sweet potatoes with water by 1 inch. Bring water to a boil, lower heat to medium and cook until sweet potatoes are fork tender, about 7minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain the sweet potatoes with a strainer and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons milk, butter, honey, and orange juice. Using a handheld mixer or potato masher, blend mixture until well combined.
- Stir in green onion and thyme, vegetables, if desired, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the first puff pastry sheet to an 11-inch square and the second into a 12-inch square. Cut each into 9 even squares.
- Divide 1/2 cup of cheese amount the 9 smaller squares from the first puff pastry sheet, leaving 1/4-inch border. Transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Top with 2-3 slices of sausage and 2 tablespoons of sweet potato mixture (can be in either order).
- Brush pastry edges with egg wash. Lay the remaining 9 slightly larger squares over the filling and seal the edges by crimping with the back of a fork.
- Brush tops of hand pies with egg wash. Cut 2-3 small slits on top with a sharp knife.
- Divide the remaining cup of cheese on top of the hand pies (optional). Sprinkle with freshly grated pepper.
- Place hand pies in oven and bake for 20-23 minutes until puffed and golden brown.
- Let pies cool 5 minutes or so before serving. Garnish with extra thyme and enjoy!