L. Alma McNutt Memorial Performing Arts Scholarship
L. Alma McNutt was a founding member of the Lancaster Opera House and was instrumental in spearheading the restoration of the building. She was dedicated to promoting local talent within the field of the performing arts. In her name, the Lancaster Opera House presents an annual Performing Arts Scholarship incentive of $1000 to a deserving Western New York high school student to further his/her talent.
Applications must be fully and accurately submitted online by Friday, April 26, 2019, at 4:00 pm.
- The student must be a High School Senior in good standing attending a Western New York High School.
- The student must display talents and abilities in drama, music, dance, scriptwriting, or other related fields in the performing arts.
- The student must commit to using the scholarship monies to pursue education and development of special talent and ability in performing arts.
- The selection of the recipient by the Scholarship Committee is considered final. Applicants may be invited to interview or further demonstrate their abilities.
- Recipient is selected without regard to race, color, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, handicap, or national origin.
To be considered by the committee for final evaluation, the applicant must complete an online application including the following:
- Complete all informational fields in the online application.
- Complete three short answer questions. (100 words or less)
- Upload 2 different letters of recommendation from your high school instructors (drama, music, etc.) or other appropriate individual who can attest to your talent and potential in the performing arts. (no relatives)
- Upload a copy of your high school transcript.
- Upload an acceptance letter to a performing arts program at a university, college, conservatory, or accredited professional training studio.
- Create a video of not more than 90 seconds displaying your talent. Next, upload the video to YouTube. Copy the link to your video and paste the link into the appropriate field on the application. If submitting a clip from a school production or ensemble, you must be clearly identifiable as the featured performer. Be creative. Applicants pursuing a design career can upload a slideshow of examples from a portfolio. Tech students can make a video demonstrating knowledge of a particular aspect of technical theater. Playwrights can submit a video of a reading or clips from a production of their work.